Massanetta Springs: Here we come!
September 20 – 22, 2019
Have a favorite naturalist-related presenter, topic, place, or activity you’d like to share with other Master Naturalists from around the state? Now is the time to get involved with planning for the 2019 Virginia Master Naturalist Statewide Conference and Volunteer Training!
As announced in the August 2018 edition of Headwaters Highlights, the Virginia Master Naturalists’ 2019 statewide conference will be held at Massanetta Springs Camp and Conference Center just outside Harrisonburg from Friday – Sunday, September 20-22, 2019. This means our Chapter will serve as host and help the State coordinators plan and execute a memorable and meaningful event for all. It is exciting to have the statewide conference coming to our area to show off our local natural resources and stewardship work.
HMN Program Committee Chair Chip Brown is coordinating our Headwaters Chapter’s involvement with the State planning effort.
Here is everything you need to know to stay informed and get involved, from Chip:
Below are the documents that VMN conference organizer Tiffany Brown provided at the October 10 meeting, at the Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance office, that explain their process of organizing and planning the annual conference.
If you were not at the meeting and are interested in being involved please review the documents that include the 7 planning committee roles they would like to fill with Master Naturalists from Headwaters.
The key points from the meeting:
- Tiffany, Michelle, and Terri take the lead on planning and logistics for the conference. Tiffany is Conference Chair and Logistics Coordinator. Michelle is the Program Coordinator. Terri is the Lodging Coordinator.
- They are recruiting 7 volunteers to serve under them to help plan and implement the conference. These roles are:
- 2 Social Liaisons
- 1 Member at Large
- 1 Photo Contest Coordinator
- 2 Program Liaisons
- 1 Volunteer Coordinator
- Time commitments vary, but all include at least 2 meetings (January and July/August) plus good contact with coordinators throughout the winter through calls, web meetings, e-mail, etc…
- We need to submit our list of seven committee members and their roles to Tiffany by November 16th.
- During the conference, we will need about 30 additional volunteers, so there will be ample opportunity to be involved.
What do I need from you all?
By November 5, 2018:
If you are interested in serving as a committee member, please e-mail (cbrown2001 [at] gmail.com) or call me (507-459-1839) to let me know the position in which you’d like to serve.
Once we know who is interested in what position, we can make decisions about who will serve. In the event that multiple people are interested in the same position, we will bring those folks together to make a decision.
If you are not interested in serving on the planning committee, but would be willing to volunteer at the conference, please let me know.
Thanks for your interest and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
– Chip Brown, Program Committee Chair, October 2018
VMN Conference Planning Documents
- Check out the descriptions of the volunteer roles needed and find a spot for yourself: VMN 2019 Conference Committee Role Descriptions v3
- Here’s the yearlong planning schedule: VMN Conference Planning Timeline 2019 v2
- Draft schedule of the conference itself: VMN 2019 Conference Overall Agenda_v1
UPDATE December 2018:
The next stage of conference planning is set to begin in January with a site visit by the state coordinators and the newly established conference committee from our local chapter.
Many thanks to the following chapter members stepping up to take on committee member roles:
Member at Large
Photo Contest Coordinator