Thanks to everyone who participated in the 2014 Wildflower Tournament! If you haven’t yet done so, please share your photographs by any of the ways outlined on this Photo Sharing Options page … then mark your calendar for next year’s Wildflower Tournament on Saturday, April 25, 2015!
Please join the Headwaters Master Naturalists and their collaborators, Friends of Shenandoah Mountain, and the Virginia Native Plant Society – Shenandoah Chapter, for a Spring Wildflower Tournament. Come out and see the spring wildflowers on Shenandoah Mountain in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests!
- Join one of four groups that will be accompanied by a member of the Headwaters Master Naturalists for a walk (or drive) in the forest.
- Find and photograph as many different species of wildflowers as possible.
- Admire the flowers in place leaving them for others to enjoy and to fulfill their spot in the mountain ecosystem.
- Upload photographs to our web album after the hike. See photo sharing options here.
- Free! All welcome!
Everyone will experience first-hand some of the incredible biodiversity that Shenandoah Mountain has to offer. The group with the most species of wildflowers wins!
- Sign up by time and place using the form below or our contact information.
- There will be two options of places to visit at both 10:00 am and 1:00 pm on Saturday, May 10.
- You will receive an email with the meeting place and directions after you sign up.
- Anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Wear walking shoes and bring water and your camera!
- Mary Baldwin College plant ecologist and VA Master Naturalist Eric Jones’s Wildflowers of Augusta County
- Virginia Native Plant Society
Sign up here:
Registration is now closed for the tournament.
Please click on and read The Waiver for All Participants. You may either print, sign, and bring it with you to your hike or be prepared to sign a copy provided to you at your trailhead before your hike begins.
Questions? email us