Recap of July 22, 2018, Membership Summer Gathering
What started out as an opportunity to gather as many Headwaters Master Naturalists as possible for a summer event, turned into a full day of community building, field trips and continuing education at Grand Caverns Park in Grottoes.
Highlights from the day included:
Board Meeting with reports regarding:
- Upcoming continuing education opportunities
- Purchase of a flash drive to continue to archive and preserve chapter documents
- Requests for members to update their profiles on the VMN-VMS website and the members-only website accessible from the VMN-VMS homepage (squirrel photo)
- Recent Outreach Committee meeting which started a renewed effort of “Inreach” to encourage participation and interaction between all HMN volunteers
- Summary of midyear volunteer hours logged
- HMN participation in Bat Monitoring, and subsequent approval by the board to purchase a second bat monitor (iPhone compatible)
Peggy Plass gathered volunteers together to show off a recently purchased bat monitor and discuss opportunities to participate in local and national bat monitoring programs. Contact Peggy for more information or to volunteer!
About 10 volunteers and their families and friends toured Grand Caverns while 20 volunteers listened to Joe Guthrie, Survey Coordinator for Virginia Working Landscapes (VWL). Joe gave a great overview of projects and opportunities for volunteering for VWL, which will soon have an expanded presence in Rockingham and Augusta Counties. Check out their website for more information and watch for announcements about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
The day wrapped up with some great food and social time. Thanks to all the members who attended, provided food and drink, and helped organize and support the event.
Save the afternoon of Sunday, October 21 for another opportunity to get together with Headwaters Master Naturalists. The program committee is working on an afternoon focused on raptor migration. Hope you’ll join us!
– Chip Brown, Cohort II, Program Committee Chair
Click on a photo below to see a slide show of the photos and find their captions. Photos taken by Adrie Voors except for the second photo above which is by Chip and the cavern photos below which are by Stephanie Gardner.