Headwaters has a new display board for outreach events! We have Janet James and her daughter Jenna Benzing, along with Gretchen and RoxAnna, to thank for this Monarch-themed creative work of art.
Our Monarch display board debuted at Earth Day Staunton on Saturday morning, April 18, 2015. Jerry Hopkins, Kathy Romig and Adrie Voors had the pleasure of showing it off to the friendly crowds browsing the many tables and activities featured at this popular annual event.
Our first outreach event of the year was the week before at Harrisonburg’s Blacks Run CleanUp Green Scene on Saturday, April 11. We didn’t have the new display board but we did have Gail Napora’s clever stickAseed creations to debut. We made a nice dent in the 1000 sticks Gail helped our chapter assemble for our year’s Monarchs & More focus project outreach efforts. An easy way for anyone to plant a milkweed seed, these sticks appeal to people of all ages and living situations, and are a great way to start a discussion on the needs of our insect pollinators.
Look for our display and stickAseed giveaways at upcoming outreach events scheduled over the rest of the year:
- Kites and Critters Day on Poague Run, Sunday, April 26, 12-5PM, Carolyn Ford Farm off Bells Lane, Staunton
- Riverfest, Saturday May 2, 9AM-5PM, Constitution Park, Waynesboro
- JMU Employee Appreciation Day Community Service Fair, Thursday, May 14, 11AM-2PM, JMU Festival Center, Harrisonburg
- Harrisonburg Farmers Market, Saturdays, June 27 and July 25, 8AM-1PM, Turner Pavilion, Harrisonburg
- International Festival, Saturday, September 25, 12-6PM, Hillandale Park, Harrisonburg
More pictures from Staunton Earth Day here:
– Adrie Voors, Cohort II, April 2015